• MATERIALS: Steel, Magnesium; Wooden fins

  • DIMENSIONS OVERALL: 234 in. long x 118 3/4 in. wide x 234 in. deep, 1650 lb.

  • FUSELAGE DIAMETER: 21 1/8 in.

  • FIN SPAN -- BOOSTER: 118 3/4 in.

  • BOOSTER STAGE: 85 3/8 in.

  • LOADED WEIGHT: 3850 lb.


  • RANGE: 7.5 mi

  • ALTITUDE: 3.7 mi

  • SPEED: 680 mph

  • SOLID FUEL PROPELLENT ENGINE: 165,000 pounds thrust

  • ACCELERATION: Mach 1 within first 1,000 feet


(for another view please click image)

As the above statistics attest to, the Rheintochter R 1 was an operational solid fueled guided missile developed by the Germans during World War II designed for surface to surface or surface to air use. It is also thought to be the weapon of choice, with some modifications, to be used in the planned destruction of Hoover Dam after being brought into close range via a submersible traveling upriver as found in The German Submarine Attack on Hoover Dam. Even though during the war the Rheintochter R 1 was not generally known it was identified by witnesses in interrogation as having wooden fins, highly unusual for a rocket and the only known rocket built by the Germans during the war that was.

The Germans did have a fully operational airborne missile that had wooden wings. It was an unmanned pulse-jet aircraft with the designation V-1. However, wings on an airborne airplane-type flying craft is a much different thing than fins on a rocket. No matter how you cut it a V-1 wasn't a rocket, it was a jet, a pulse jet. Rockets carry their own fully combustible fuel, be it solid or liquid, no air is necessary --- that's why they are able to operate in space. Jets, on the other hand, require air (i.e., lots of it and being in it, for the oxygen of course) to be fully operational. Because of the length of a typical V-1 launch ramp and how it was constructed it would be impossible to incorporate a V-1 into a sub launch. Rumors exist that a long abandoned structure in various stages of construction or dismantling, with all the similarities and configurations of a V-1 launch ramp, was discovered out in the open desert a few years after the war 50 or more miles south-south west from Hoover Dam. For more please click the following image:

(please click image)













(please click)

As to the subject of donations, for those of you who may be interested in doing so as it applies to the gratefulness of my works, I invariably suggest any funds be directed toward THE WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT and/or THE AMERICAN RED CROSS.


Most people who are familiar with my online works know that when I was in high school and spent the summers on the ranch owned by my Stepmother, or ex-stepmother as the case may be in that she and my dad had divorced by then, that she had a whole series of ranch-like jobs, or chores as she called them, for me to do, some less glamorous than others. One of those chores, on the slightly more glamorous side than shoveling up horse poop, was cleaning up the tables located in and around the floor space on either side of the dance hall on Sunday mornings following the western hoedowns and minor ruckuses from the night before. That same chore included as well, serving and bussing the tables for the breakfast hold overs and those nurturing headaches from that same night before. Even though I was a worker bee just doing his job, most were aware I was the son of the owner which in turn gave me a little more status and leeway with the customers and any interaction thereof.

One Sunday morning a man stepped up to the table the ranch foreman was having breakfast with a group of friends and introduced himself as a geologist while at the same time handing the foreman a photograph. The geologist said he had overheard a conversation a week of so before where basically the same group was discussing a German submarine attack on Hoover Dam. Before they had a chance to throw him out he quickly interjected that during World War II he had worked as a stereograph photo interpreter for the OSS. Right away hearing the acronym "OSS" and with most knowing what it meant their ears perked up with the foreman asking him to sit down.

The geologist told the group with the war over and now a civilian, his area of employment expertise was investigating large geologic land forms after finding them through photographic aerial surveys, an almost direct job cross-transformation from his previous duties with the OSS except now he was employed by major and even minor oil companies primarily because of an incident that caused a national frenzy in 1948 near the small northwestern corner town of Aztec, New Mexico

The man said that some time back during the routine viewing of aerial surveys of the outwash plain due west of the Colorado River and about 70 miles south-south-west of Hoover Dam he came across a land form that had all the appearances of being the remains of a very ancient meteorite impact crater. As far as he was concerned, although previously unidentified and unnamed, the aerial photographs clearly showed discernable remnants of a circular crater outer ring sporting a diameter of approximately 18 miles with a well defined vestige of a central peak. Right away, hoping to possibly get credit for the discovery of a previously unknown impact crater, maybe even having it named after him, he packed up his four wheel drive former Army ambulance converted to a camper van and headed out to the desert to see if any conclusions to what he saw in the photo-survey might have merit.

On his second day of exploration he heard what sounded like the sputtering of the engine of of small plane in trouble. Searching the sky he saw some distance away what looked like a Piper Cub type plane spewing a line of dark to gray smoke out behind it and going down. He immediately got into his truck and started out across the desert to see if he could attend to the matter in some fashion. When he got on the scene it was a Piper Cub type spotter plane with Air Force markings, the pilot sitting alone in the shade of some boulders nearby. He said he had been on his way to an Air Force base north of Las Vegas when the engine caught fire. He tried to level off and set the plane down as easy as possible but the terrain was too rough to allow it, breaking the landing gear and flipping the plane nose down tail up. The pilot said he had time to get out a May Day before everything went dead and that he expected somebody to be there for him without the passage of any amount of time.

Nobody showed up by nightfall so the man made dinner and the two of them crashed for the night. The next morning sitting around drinking coffee a small two man bubble-canopy chopper with only the pilot showed up. After joining for coffee the two of them got in the helicopter and headed out. Before they did they told the man they would appreciate it if he didn't say anything about the plane, the crash or any of the events associated with it. In the process he asked if either of them knew anything about a manmade structure a few miles southeast that appeared to be in the stages of either being built or torn down but in either way, abandoned for a long time nevertheless. Neither of them knew anything about it but the pilot said he would scope it out, flying in the structures direction when they left. The man got in his van and headed in the same direction arriving at the structure some time later. He got out, took a few pictures, did some rough measurements, got back in his van and went back to what he was doing before he heard the plane a few days before

As an OSS photo interpreter during the war he had seen pictures of similar structures before, but while at home he did additional research to see if his hunch was correct, and it was. It was after that he showed up at the ranch and passed the photo around explaining to the group and especially so the ranch foreman what the structure was he saw. Since I never had the photo in my possession where I owned it and it belonged to me, the photo shown a couple of paragraphs below is not the actual photo the man passed around, but it is so close to the original I am including it here for the reader to get a good idea as to what the photo he passed looked like. What the original photo showed and that I saw, was a man-made bolted together single rail metal ramp of some sort standing all by itself out in the middle of the American southwest desert.

The ex-OSS man said after much scrutiny of hundreds of survey photos he was able to find it and get some idea as to its size, length, and location. The thing is, when he went back some weeks later with a friend to help take more photographs along with additional and more accurate on the ground measurements of the structure, there was no sign of it nor did it look like anything had ever been there. He had driven in with his 4X4 van along with his friend to the spot where the small plane went down first and, although the plane as expected was gone, the firepit from he and the pilot's overnight stay was still there. From there he drove across the desert to the spot where the structure was, or at least should have been and nothing. It was gone.

(please click image)

However, when the structure was dismantled and removed without a trace, what the dismantlers didn't know was that when the man was there the first time after leaving the pilot, since he was on BLM or federal land, he wrote out a mining claim statement giving all the locations and descriptions as necessary to file a claim, then put the papers into a Walter Raleigh or Prince Albert-like pipe tobacco tin and stashed it under a pile of rocks. When he did, taking into consideration any sudden heavy rains or flash floods, he built it on higher ground some distance up and away from the structure.

Like the native people that carved the giant stone heads and erected them all over the island of Rapa Nui, after they completed nearly 800 and set most of them upright they suddenly stopped and seemingly just walked away leaving at least 300 unfinished with the tools they worked with just left beside them. The structure in the desert was the same way. If it was being assembled or dismantled is not known, however, although no specific tools were found and not all of the parts were accounted for, there were pieces of metal railings, bracing or struts, and a large number of nuts and bolts of different sizes scattered all over. Because of some kind of gut intuition or instinct the man gathered up a bunch of the materials and buried them near his stone monument after measuring off 25 paces exactly due north. Whoever dismantled and hauled everything off never saw the monument nor the buried material because neither site were disturbed. He also told the group that when he returned home his place had been totally ransacked and all his notes and survey photos gone.

The man, seeing a certain amount of skepticism, even though talking with a group that believed in the possibility of the Germans attacking Hoover Dam with a submarine, told the foreman that he could take him to the spot where he buried parts of the structure, dig them up and show him. The foreman, who fought in the Pacific during World War II had zero knowledge about V-1's found the whole idea interesting but not sure, since a V-1 and a submarine doing the same job was sort of redundant, which agency or agencies in the Third Reich would be responsible. He knew the submarine was true, now he wanted proof of the launch ramp. He also knew to do so would require at least two days off. Taking me with him would also assure an OK from his boss, my stepmother. I went along and I saw the parts.

The ramp location was not far across the California Nevada state line on the California side, around 50 miles south-southwest of Hoover Dam roughly 35 miles parallel west of Davis Dam. The launch starting point, i.e., the lower end of the ramp, was on the south-southwest end, the higher part, the terminus of ramp launch on the east-northeast end. So said, such positioning made the long-length axis of the ramp low end to high launch direction aimed directly straight toward Hoover Dam. Once altitude was achieved the fully unobstructed south facing outside downstream front surface of the dam was fully exposed to an unhindered impact of a potential V-1 launch.

(please click image)

There are a few of things important here. First, the V-1, although crude and cheap to build, it should still be considered a fairly formidable weapon, especially for its time. Unmanned, it carried a nearly one ton destructive payload over a distance of at least 150 miles at over 350 MPH. Secondly, the V-1 was not a rocket. It was powered by a jet engine known as a pulse-jet. No rocketry was involved. So too, although the V-1 was a missile, it wasn't a guided missile, at least in the classical sense. After being launched in a fixed direction toward the target a mile measuring device or counter was set so that after covering a certain distance the engine shut off and the V-1, no longer being powered, just fell out of the sky, Hopefully, for the senders, if the math was right, it fell on the target. For the recipients, their hope was just the opposite. It is thought in a Hoover Dam attack the intention would be for the V-1 to just slam into the outward facing wall head-on with a 2000 pound payload.

There was one more thing the Germans had up their sleeve. A piloted version of the V-1 flying bomb designated the Fi-103 Missile: Reichenberg IV, shown below. Notice the cockpit. The short wingspan, inherit in the basic V-1 design anyway, would be however, perfect for an attack on Hoover Dam flying up the Colorado River between the narrow high canyon walls, although it is not known how maneuverable a manned version of the V-1 was. It shows how desperate the Third Reich was getting late in the war. The Reichenberg IV was basically a kamikaze-like suicide bomb. If you think the whole attack on Hoover Dam is crazy think about it for a minute --- the Germans building manned flying suicide bombs. The pilot can get in, but he can't get out.



V1 launching ramp, by David P Howard
Photo © David P Howard
Available for reuse under this Creative Commons licence

V-1 FLYING BOMB 1942-1952


In September of 1950 a hardbound book called Behind the Flying Saucers was published. Written by a man named Frank Scully the book became an overnight best seller. It told about a disc-shaped airborne metallic-like craft said to be extraterrestrial that had supposedly crashed near a small northwest corner community of New Mexico called Aztec in 1948. A number of dead alien bodies scattered around the craft were also said to have been found as well. In 1952, two years after the book went on the market, in the first of two articles published in True Magazine, Scully's story was totally debunked and proven to be nothing but a full on hoax.

Although the content of the book was debunked top to bottom, what came up about the debunking, was that the author Scully, didn't try to pull a fast one but that he himself had totally been scammed. The "scammers" who bamboozled Scully into thinking their story was true as made up of two men, one named Newton and the other, a scientist said to be a doctor, named GeBauer. Their idea for the book was to widen the circle of the number of people who would be willing to buy an electronic device they "invented" that had the ability to find oil by just scanning it over the ground. Such a device was known as a doodlebug in the industry and worked like a divining rod to find water only Geiger counter-like, electronically. The two were taken to court after swindling a rube out of $18,500 for such an oil finding device that could easily be bought for $3.50 in a surplus store, the device being really no more than a tuning unit from surplus Army radio transmitters.

However, between the two year period between the time Scully's book came out and the time it was debunked, as a best seller, it did just what the the two scammers wanted, heighten interest in the possibility of finding oil using an electronic device. Not to be left out, the traditional oil companies began their own searches on the side, electronically and otherwise, hence the use of the World War II OSS stereograph photo interpreter.

In an offside, it should be noted that one of the nicknames for the V-1 was doodlebug.


Several years later Scully's book played a huge role in another downed saucer incident known as the 1953 Kingman UFO.

During the period between the March 1948 date of the Aztec story and the September 1952 debunking of that story, there was a young boy to teenager who was originally loosly tagged by the pseudonym Chukka Bob until his name was discovered then revealed, living in Farmington, New Mexico, that graduated from high school there in 1950.

Farmington is located only a few miles southwest of the small community of Aztec, the site of the suspected UFO crash Scully wrote about. Scully said the crash happened in March of 1948, Chukka Bob's sophomore year, but it wasn't until spring of his senior year, after Scully's book was published, that the story really took off for him. He and some of his buddies, as did a lot of his classmates, went out to visit the crash site and shared and compared stories day after day. In 1949, before graduation, he joined the New Mexico National Guard and placed on inactive duty because most of his unit had been sent to Korea. In May of 1951, a year after his graduation from high school, he was placed on active duty status and sent to Fort Bliss, Texas bordering up to and just south of White Sands New Mexico. In December, 1952 he received an Honorable Discharge. By then the True Magazine article debunking Scully and the Aztec crash had been published and although the content of the article let a lot of wind out of his sails on his once youthful perspective of UFOs, the exuberance and thrill of it all never truly faded.

After his discharge he went to college earning a B.S. in Electrical Engineering. Following his graduation he rejoined the military, commissioned as an officer, and sent to Vietnam. During his time in college Chukka Bob became an eyewitness to the Kingman event. See: