"On the night of January 19, 1915 two German navy Zeppelins carried out the first successful bombing run against British soil. One of the ships was the L-3. Both craft bombed from an altitude of 3,000 feet and both returned safely. On May 31, 1915, ten months into the war, the first Zeppelins showed up over London. In August 1916 two-million cubic feet mid-level ships operating at 13,000 feet went on line. It wasn't until September 2, 1916 that the British pulled the first airship out of the sky over England in direct air-to-air combat"

the Wanderling

(for more please click image)

(please click either image}



"On August 12, L-11 and three other Zeppelins embarked on a raid to England. L- 11, again with von Buttlar in command, only managed to reach some miles west of The Helder over the Dutch coast because of foul weather. The storm reached the Zeppelin when it was over the Dogger Bank tossing the airship from side to side. L-11's firm construction held off the rain as it came down over its canvas in torrents. Suddenly a Saint Elmos fire appeared over the machine guns. It is reported that the poor lookouts at their posts had haloes around their heads and looked like angels managing the Zeppelin. This is the time when a good commander shows his fibre, as von Buttlar did, taking charge of the situation. He gripped the Zeppelin's direction wheel firm in its position while he shouted orders from his command car. Keeping a cool head, he maintained his ship below the 'pressure height' to avoid the hydrogen escaping from the valves, which could be ignited from the electrical discharges and cause the airship to be blown to pieces. A well commanded ship and the firm resolution of the brave crew saved the L-11. The Zeppelin later landed safely at dawn and safely entered its hangar."


As for Zeppelins being relegated to sea patrol duty only is as about as far from the truth as you can get. On the night of October 19, 1917 the Germans launched a massive eleven ship raid against England using nothing but Height Climbers. The ships were so far above the earth their engines couldn't be heard by observers on the ground with the bombs seemingly coming out of nowhere. So too, as found reported in ZEPPELINS: High Altitude Warships, near the end of World War I an attack on the city of New York, composed of three special type long range Height Climbers, was being put into place and advocated by Korvettenkapitan Peter Strasser. To demonstrate the successful completion of such an attack to the German High Command, Strasser had flown the L-59 nonstop from Bulgaria to the Sudan in Africa and back. The newer Height Climbers had even greater range. Before he had a chance to put the attack into motion, what was to be the lead ship, the L-70, was caught coming in over England at the low altitude --- for a Climber --- of around 17,000 feet and shot out of the sky with Stasser in command. The two other ships trailing behind immediately raised altitude beyond the range of the fighters and escaped. With Strasser dead and the L-70 gone the New York raid was shelved.

By World War II though the Germans were no longer heading toward the city of New York using gas filled Zeppelins, but giant all metal six-engine long range bombers, with at least one of the bombers even suspected by some --- although the timing is tough to be right --- as being armed with nukes.[1]


(please click image)

The following text on Zeppelins generally and Count Ferdinand Graf von Zeppelin specifically is provided through the courtesy and generosity of The History of Flight:

Probably hardly a shape of aviation history is part of as many legends as Ferdinand Graf von Zeppelin. He was born on July 8, 1838 in Konstanz at the Bodensee. He was educated at the Ludwigsburg Military Academy and the University of Tebingen. He entered the Prussian army in 1858 and went to the United States in 1863 to work as a military observer for the Union army and observed the Civil War. Zeppelin served in the Franco-German War of 1870-1871; he retired in 1891 with the rank of brigadier general. It was quite usual in his noble and high-decorated family, that he chose a military career. And later explored the headwaters of the Mississippi River, and made his first balloon flight while he was in Minnesota . And on August 7, 1869, he was married to his wife Isabe. His military career, however successful, did not run. He, along with others, at that time preferred modern opinions over combat tactics, which brought his career into conflicts with the military authorities. In the age of 52, he was prematurely retired in 1890 for his criticism of the Prussian war office, giving him free time to work on his airship ideas.

Zeppelin now finally found the time to concern himself with his visions to the topic of "Lenkbare Luftschiffe" or "guidable airships". This idea had always pursued him in the last 20 years. It was particularly the success of the airship LA FRANCE, which had very much impressed Zeppelin. In a letter to his king, Zeppelin referred, particularly, to the possibilities of the military use of this technology. A meeting with the military authorities, following on it, did not bring good results for it. The authorities over-estimated the problem of air resistance as substantially higher than it really was.

Only in the year 1892, the concrete work on the project began. With the assistance of his engineer, he set up a construction plan for an airship in a period of 2 years. It is to be marked that Zeppelin had no concrete development realizations, or physical data. When he wanted to present his new construction in 1894 to the military officials, it ended in a clear reject. Particularly, the low rate of the missile was criticized.

In 1886 an electrolytic process by which aluminium could be produced in commercial quantities was invented almost simultaneously by Paul Heroult in France and C. M. Hall in the US. The introduction of this light, strong metal during the next few years opened up new possibilities for designers of lighter-than-air craft. One of whom was Ferdinand Graf von Zeppelin. The design used by Zeppelin was a tubular aluminium frame, but instead if covering it with sheets of metal, he made a fabric cover not intended to be gas-tight. The gas was enclosed in bags in compartments of the hull separated by transverse aluminium girders.

In the year 1895 its missile under the designation "Luftzug" or "draft of air" was patented. One year later the VDI (Verein Deutscher Ingenieure or association of German engineers) was convinced of the plans of Graf Zeppelin. The association started a campaign for the support of Zeppelin's projects. Thereupon, Zeppelin created in January 1898, the "Gesellschaft zur Ferderung der Luftschiffahrt" (society for the promotion of the Air-Navigation). From this point on, the development preceded rapidly. In 1899, the first bug rings were already installed. In the spring of the same year, the building of the legendary "schwimmenden Halle" (swimming hall) began in one cell with Friedrichshafen. A young engineer named Ludwig Derr led the assembly of the first Zeppelins.

Zeppelin had spent nearly a decade working on his dirigible prior to his flight in 1900. The ship was known as the LZ-1 and was 128 meters long and resembled a sausage shaped balloon. It was created by combining the aerodynamics of kites with the aerodynamics of a balloon. Built in a floating shed on Lake Constance near Friedrichshafen, LZ-1 had two passenger cars and two 14.7-horse-power gasoline engines. From the hangar on the Bodensee, a raft was pulled, on which the LZ-1 was situated. A short time later, the ship rose into air. The first flight should take 18 minutes. "Count von Zeppelin, a stout 62-year-old ex-cavalry commander with a white walrus moustache, twinkling eyes and a white yachting cap perched on his round head" is how he was described on July 2, 1900, the date of his maiden voyage. "I am not a circus rider who performs for the public," he had told a reporter. "I am doing serious work for my country." Zeppelin was inspired of the successful ascent. The ship achieved a rate of 30 km/h, whereby it proved an amazingly high controllability. Expectations of the military observers were not fulfilled, however, which was to due to the low engine performance of the Daimler Benz machines. After two further test flights, the new company was actually bankrupt. It was liquidated and the LZ-1, the father of all rigid airships, had to be wrecked.

Particularly for this purpose, an educated commission of the VDI now analyzed the results obtained so far. The commission came to the conclusion that Zeppelin had carried out good work, the Zeppelin-airships did not develop, however, technically, and no future prospects would have. This was a complete setback for Zeppelin. Without cash, and with its only remaining engineer, Ludwig Derr, he made himself the design of a successor. He made donation calls into newspapers and innumerable Bettelbriefe (Begging Letters) to wealthy contemporaries, which only brought mockery to it.

Nevertheless the untiring zealot and missionary of the airship idea, went into the year 1905, with his second ship. The building of the LZ-2 became possible, due to his king and the Prussian lottery, both of which put the necessary capital to it at his disposal. Although the LZ-2 did not bring considerable successes, and because of substantial defects, did not yield Zeppelin, but was wrecked later. Again it was a lottery, which made necessary finances available. The crucial turn came in the year 1906.

As a special stroke of luck, Zeppelin met with Alfred Colsman, the son-in-law of his deceased friend and sponsor, Carl Berg. Colsman, an experienced manager, who was inspired by Zeppelin's ideas, now took over the consultation Zeppelin. In October 1906, two travels with the new LZ-3 occur. These successful messages ensured the fact that tendencies against Zeppelin began to slowly change. Zeppelin's former critic, Hugo Eckener, political economist, became the most engaged lawyer for the thing of Zeppelins.

Suddenly Zeppelin's success curve moved steeply upward. The University of Dresden made Zeppelin Dr. of Ingenuity and the government put to it, a half million Mark. Zeppelin was lent the highest honor by the VDI. The government placed amounts to the building of his next ship at million heights to the order and wanted to purchase the finished airships. Additionally he received a personal remuneration for his past work.

With his new ship, the LZ-4 Graf Zeppelin, a 12 hour travel over Switzerland was achieved. With large energy applied it gave 24-hour tours. But this project ended in a disaster. During an intermediate stop to the engine repair, a violent gust of wind tore the ship from its anchorage. The LZ-4 was driven off over a kilometre away and exploded finally in the case of the impact on the soil. A wave of the helpfulness and the national sympathy began surprisingly. Ferdinand Zeppelin had become over night the national hero. Within shortest time donations had been received at a value of over 6 million Marks. With these people's donations, the VDI, companies and private individuals, which was actually unusual took part. The government assured the purchase of Zeppelin's two next ships to Zeppelin.

Ferdinand Zeppelin could force his research further and for the first time, without financial needs. The largest problem, which he wanted to solve, was the increase of the speed. He had proven that a rate of 70 km/h was absolutely necessary, and that the airship must remained manoeuvrable with strong wind also.

In the meantime, Zeppelin GmbH was created, which was led by Alfred Colsmann. In the proximity of Ludwigshafen, large production plants and buildings of workshops developed. One was thus prepared for high production capacities in the best way. But the expected jobs of the military were missing. The guidance the Zeppelin GmbH reacted very fast. In 1909 he created the DELAG (Deutsche Luftschiffahrts Aktien-Gesellschaft), mainly to bring in revenue and to organize commercial flights. DELAG was used to make the airship manufacturing company to some extent independent of the army by providing an alternative outlet for its products. The DELAG began to unfold very fast thereby creating new activities. So several cities could be won to take part in the building of airship hangars. A route network was advanced, in order to connect the large German cities on the airway. Additionally training centres for Airship pilots and crews were created. Dr. Hugo Eckener was engaged first as airship pilot and a teacher and moved up later into the executive committee of the DELAG.

Zeppelin established the Zeppelin Foundation. Its purpose was to safeguard his organization against governmental interference. He then set up a company to manufacture airships, another to manufacture engines specially designed by Carl Maybach for lighter-than-air machines, and another to manufacture ancillary equipment. All components were manufactured from the smallest gear wheel to the production of the covering material on one's own. To the Zeppelin-Imperium soon belonged the Zeppelin Welfare GmbH, which was created when Zeppelin desired. This institution promoted social projects such as housing developments or sports sites.

Particularly to mention the commitment of Zeppelin is in the aircraft construction. Besides the building of airships, this field also interested him very strongly. In the year 1907, he assigned his co-worker engineer Kober the construction of an airplane. For this, the aircraft construction Friedrichshafen GmbH was created. In 1910, Claude Dornier was hired to the company. Dornier operated on behalf of Zeppelin on the development of a steel airship, for the Trans-Atlantic traffic. At the beginning of the war (1914), Zeppelin gave the job for the building of a water airplane. As World War I began, Graf Zeppelin advanced his ideas of enormous airplanes, which could be used for bomber purposes. In June 1915, an enormous airplane of the type Gotha, an aircraft, started to provide only for sensation. The Gotha was the prototype of a long-range bomber, which was used in the First World War with large strategic success. The zeppelin was too slow and explosive a target in wartime (about 40 were shot down over London) and too fragile to withstand bad weather. Its era ended with the explosion of the Hindenburg in 1937.

Zeppelin participated actively in the developments of his numerous companies into his highest age. In March 1917 he had to undergo of a heavy intestinal operation, which he did not survive. At the age of 79, Ferdinand Graf von Zeppelin died in Berlin. It is true that he was a crucial figure of aviation history and understood it excellently to meet and bind to its projects and to the correct people around himself. The name of Zeppelin connected itself in the run of time with his own factory. If nowadays an advertising airship in the sky emerges, look up at those humans admiringly and say: "Look, a zeppelin!" Thus the name of the stubborn Count was received by his own legacy. The connection between creators and creation became legend.

(please click image)




(please click image)

(please click image)










(please click)



(please click)

As to the subject of donations, for those of you who may be interested in doing so as it applies to the gratefulness of my works, I invariably suggest any funds be directed toward THE WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT and/or THE AMERICAN RED CROSS.

Footnote [1]

"It has been reported that a Ju-390 left Europe coming in over Canada crossing into U.S. airspace to photograph defense plants in Michigan only to exit out over the Atlantic sometime after noon on August 28, 1943 by coming in behind any east-facing aircraft detection systems and passing directly over New York above the Empire State Building."



The Flying Saucer craze that erupted on the national scene shortly following World War II is usually credited to a pilot named Kenneth Arnold from an observation of his while flying over or near Mount Rainer in the state of Washington. On June 24, 1947, from the cockpit of his plane, and at a fairly high altitude Arnold reported spotting nine highly reflective, disc-like or crescent shaped objects flying in a loose formation off in the distance and below him --- all exhibiting non-aircraft like maneuvering and all traveling at an ultra high rate of speed.

However, Arnold's sighting was NOT the first from an aircraft. The first reported sighting of a UFO from an aircraft happened years before Arnold's sighting, during World War I and involved what seemed to be a Zeppelin --- but instead, turned out to be a huge unidentified flying object.

According to ZEPPELINS: High Altitude Warships, on the night of January 19, 1915 two German navy Zeppelins carried out the first successful bombing run against British soil. One year later, although not exactly a Foo Fighter in the World War II classical sense, the FIRST sighting of a UFO from a powered aircraft EVER as well as the first firing on a UFO from the air occurred over England.

David Clarke and Andy Roberts write in their book OUT OF THE SHADOWS: UFOs, the Establishment and the Official Cover-up (London: Piatkus, 2002) that early in January 1916 at the fighter aerodrome at Rochford in Essex outside London around 8:45 PM Flight Sub-Lieutenant J.E. Morgan arose for an anti-Zeppelin patrol in his BE2c fighter. When Morgan reached 5,000 feet he saw a little above and slightly ahead to the right about 100 feet away what he described as "a row of what appeared to be lighted windows which looked something like a railway carriage with the blinds drawn."

Believing that he had flown directly into the path of an oncoming Zeppelin in the act of preparing to attack London, Morgan drew his service pistol and fired several times in the direction of the "railway carriage." Immediately, "the lights alongside rose rapidly" and disappeared into the night sky, so rapidly in fact that Morgan believed his own aircraft had gone into a dive. Overcorrecting his actually not out of control aircraft he crashed into Thameshaven Marshes.

A full account of Morgan's sighting, dubbed "an encounter with a phantom airship" appears in German Air Raids on Great Britain 1914-1918 by Captain Joseph Morris published in 1925. The book was compiled from then classified Air Ministry records, and Morris refers directly to the airman's report filed with the War Office. Extensive searches of the Royal Flying Corps records at the Public Record Office have failed to locate Morgan's original report. The station log from Rochford aerodrome does give brief details of Morgan's flight with the addition of the word "Zepp" which shows he did have an encounter with something he took to be an enemy airship.

Morgan's report is NOT included in the official account of the January 31, 1916 raid published by the War Office at the end of the conflict, which charts the movements of the Zeppelin raiders and the attempts by British fliers to intercept them in great detail. There is, however, additional support for the claim that an airborne object of some kind was present over southeastern England during the air raid. Another RFC pilot by the name of McClelland, reported seeing what he described as "a Zeppelin" caught briefly in the glare of searchlights above London at 9 pm, 15 minutes after Morgan's encounter.


Then there were aerial objects otherwise left unidentified in World War II, seen from the air, ground, or otherwise that were not necessarily small in size either. Some, such as the so-called Foo Fighters were about the size of a World War II single seat fighter, others downright gigantic and almost always compared in size to Zeppelins. The most infamous was an object seen by literally thousands of people along the coast of California barely three months into the war. The UFO Over Los Angeles is mostly forgotten now, but during the early morning hours of February 25, 1942 the whole city and surrounding communities were in an uproar as thousands of rounds of anti aircraft shells were expended to pull down whatever it was out of the sky that night. The slow moving object, again, like the aforementioned object from World War I, was said to be as big or bigger than a Zeppelin. After being caught in the glare of searchlights from Santa Monica to Long Beach and proved to be impervious to the constant barrage of shells. It eventually disappeared out over the Pacific after cruising along the coast and cutting inland for a while. The huge object was never clearly explained and was basically hushed up without response from the authorities.


(please click)